Will Benjamin is Here & A Baby Story, part 1

It is hard to believe that two weeks have passed now since the arrival of our precious baby boy, Will Benjamin — and it’s almost harder to believe that I haven’t blogged here about it yet! It is amazing how drastically having a newborn revolutionizes one’s life…suddenly free time is a precious commodity (though not so precious as time spent snuggling with my new baby :)), and tasks like blogging and returning emails and phone calls must be fit into carefully strategized slots of time!

Mommyhood is amazing so far. I am up half the night, smell like spit-up (even as I type), have been out of the house 4 times in the last 2 weeks, and my life revolves almost entirely around feeding a baby and changing poopy diapers – but I love it. Even changing poopy diapers is cute! How weird is that. Only a mother could say that, I think. Mark & I feel so blessed by our precious little gift – Psalm 127 says that children are a reward from the Lord, and I totally get that. Will is such a treasure that we feel so unworthy of!

We have also been blessed by an enormous amount of help. Several friends and family have visited, prepared meals, and showered us with needs and goodies, and both my family and Mark’s parents have been here every day this week to help out – I have been so blessed by their help around the house (they’ve cleaned, brought meals, helped with laundry, and held baby Will so I can catch up on my sleep as I finish recovering) as well as simply their company.

Mark & I have enjoyed reflecting on the events surrounding Will’s arrival, and I thought it might be fun to write the story out here (for our reading enjoyment if no one else’s :)). It’s my very own episode of “A Baby Story”. :)…

Thursday, September 13 was an unusually busy day for me. I spent the morning at a lovely little “baby brunch” at Perkin’s with the ladies from my neighborhood Bible study (I ate strawberry waffles, if anyone was wondering), the afternoon teaching the preschool class at Minnehaha Christian Homeschool Co-Op, followed by an early dinner at Panera with my good friend Aimee. That night I went to bed around 10:00, only to awaken at around 12:30, feeling a bit under the weather – my throat ached (which was likely from teaching the preschool class – I hadn’t talked that loudly, that much in awhile :)) and I just generally felt a bit sick. At any rate, I couldn’t get back to sleep, so I spent some time putzing around the house. At around 2:00 am, I decided to get back into bed and give sleep another go…I tossed and turned for about a half an hour, before a particular toss (or was it a turn?) especially caught my attention. I was lying on my left side, flipped over to my right side, and two things happened:

1. I  noticed that the baby “stretched out” rather oddly in my belly. I was about to laugh at this strange contortion, when suddenly…

2. I heard/felt a “pop”, and felt what seemed like the baby punching a hole in my abdomen! My first thought was that something dreadful had happened, so I quickly woke Mark up. At first, he was a bit groggily irritated, thinking I was awakening him to tell him about some minor issue (“I feel the baby kicking me!”, etc). Soon, however, the truth became apparent: my water had broken! The instant I shared this realization with him, he flew out of bed and I had his full attention!

We called the midwife, who told us that unless contractions started coming at 5 minutes apart, I should try to get some sleep and could wait until 8:00 am to go in to the hospital.  No sooner had I hung up the phone, however, than the contractions started to hit…slowly, at first…

From that point on, all systems were “go”, and we began scrambling around the house making last minute preparations. Mark ran to his computer to pull together sub plans to send to school the next day; I ran (er…walked) around the house, collecting last minute items for the hospital bag. I also straightened my hair (still not sure of my rationale behind this one. It was late.). The contractions steadily progressed, increasing in intensity, and far more painful than I ever realized they would be! Ouch! They got to be between 7-9 minutes apart, and I began to get nervous. Just two days earlier, the midwife had told me that the baby was at +1 station (low) and that I was 90% effaced – meaning that once I went into labor, it would likely go fast. So, wanting to avoid an unplanned home birth, I called the midwife again, and she gave us the OK to come on in to the hospital. So…we were off!

The car ride there is a bit of a blur – I remember pain, darkness, and…Mark eating a banana (more on that later :)).

We finally arrived at the hospital, where we headed straight for the admissions desk, stopping every few minutes for a contraction. By this time they were around 5 minutes apart. While were were standing at the admitting desk, I had a contraction — followed just a couple of minutes later by another one, as we sat down in the waiting area. This was the first time they had been 2 minutes apart – it was really a fluke – but the receptionist observed this and must have panicked, because we heard her pick up the phone, say something like “Code _____…you better hurry, they’re 2 minutes apart!”. Within seconds, a nurse ran down with a wheelchair, seated me in it, turned to Mark and said “Keep up!”, and…we were off again, running down the halls, ER style.

As Mark & I reflect on the labor experience, there are a couple little vignettes that come to mind that make us laugh. One of them happened during this time. There we were, speeding down the corridors, turning corner after corner, panicking at the thought that perhaps I was going to give birth in this little triage area of the hospital, when suddenly we were stopped by two older gentleman, moving in front of our path at a turtle’s pace (insert the cartoon sound of screeching brakes here). “Excuuuuse meeee”, one man slowly said to the nurse “my faaaather herrrre is supposed to have kneee surgery this morniiing, but there’s nooo one at the admitting desk….where shooould wee goooo?”  “Well, you’ll just have to wait at the desk for someone to help you,” the nurse quickly replied, eager to move on. But the gentleman was not satisfied with this answer. “But, you don’t understaaand,” he said with a puzzled expression, “his suuurgeryyyy is supposed to start in a few miiiinutes….”. The nurse seemed at a loss for words; helpless, somehow torn between helping this gentleman find his way and getting me to the care I needed before the baby popped out right there. Thankfully, my hero of a husband stepped in at this point “We’ve got to go,” he said directly to our old friend, then pointed at me and said “She’s in labor!”. The old man’s eyebrows raised, and he looked at me as though he hadn’t noticed me (and my obvious condition). “Ohhh dear, yes you must go on your wayyyy”. And just as quickly as we stopped…we were off again.

…to be continued (you’re all in suspense, I know)… 


3 responses to “Will Benjamin is Here & A Baby Story, part 1

  1. Oh, I can’t wait for part 2! I just LOVE a Baby Story 😀 Hoping we get book club going again soon so that I can meet your little cutie!

  2. Hahahahahah – Please write more — just lovin it 😉

  3. Hey Nikki,

    This is SO fun to read — can’t wait for Part 2! To those gentlemen that were in your way, what a hoot! You guys will always remember that — how sweet. But, not as sweet as Will is! 😉

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s