Fire in the Hole!

“Things were cooking at the Wallace house today.”

“We got fired.”

These were a couple of alternate titles I came up with for this post.

The bottom line, though, is that we dealt with a little electrical fire fun here today. Check out this picture:

Please note the charred hole in the ceiling. Up until this afternoon, a light fixture hung there. However, at around 4:00, I was working around the kitchen, minding my own business, standing right about at the point from which this picture was taken, when suddenly I heard the most horrifying popping/surging sound coming from the light fixture. It sounded almost possessed and lasted a good 5 seconds or more. I glanced up to see the light flashing an insidious orange, streaks of blackness emerging from it, and then the adrenaline took over. I dashed up those stairs (on the right) to grab little napping Will from his nursery, dashed right back down the stairs (bonking his poor little forehead on the doorframe in the process 😦 ), and then down the set of stairs on the left to the entryway and out the door, directly to my wonderful neighbors’ across the street. They came over to make a cautious inspection of the damage, and discovered a completely charred light fixture and that our home smelled “like burning”. I called 911, then I called Mark to come home from work. Soon the sirens were blaring, a truck and 2 fire “suburbans” were in front of our house with the lights going, and neighbors I’d never met were beginning to slowly trickle out of their houses and toward our end of the street, eyes bugging with curiosity. (note to self: never do this. It’s annoying.). Anyway, the fire chief inspected it…a few firemen inspected it…the fire inspector inspected it and interviewed us, and it was determined that all is safe for the moment. We’ve got an electrician coming in the morning, and aside from the charred ceiling and the little goose-egg on poor Will’s head (he’s OK, by the way!), everything is back to normal.

Still, it was a little more adventure than I’d bargained for today.

And the moral of the story, children, is to always be afraid because you never know when a light fixture in your house may explode. Just kidding. Seriously, though, it was a great little reminder of how fragile things can be – even light fixtures that seem innocent enough can turn on us!

Anyway, we’ve been enjoying a quiet evening. We dined on frozen pizza (I was going to make lasagna, but that didn’t happen!), and I’ve been shamelessly vegging ever since. It was too chaotic of a day to go anywhere or really doing anything that involved getting up and moving (this is why I missed girls’ night, Sarah – sorry I didn’t reply to your text!)

Here’s to some peace & quiet…and thanks to God for keeping us safe!

Advertisements

3 responses to “Fire in the Hole!

  1. huber hadley

    That’s ok, Nikki. Given the circumstances, I totally understand. Hope the rest of your week goes smoother!

  2. YIKES!!!! I’m glad everyone’s okay — and all the “inspections” passed…..wow — I would have been freaked out!

    Did you get a picture of Will on the fire truck? 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s