Here are some things that happened in 1986:
- Ronald Reagan was president
- The space shuttle “Challenger” exploded moments after take-off
- The Chicago Bears won SuperBowl XX
- A major nuclear disaster occured at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in the Soviet Union
- “Top Gun” was the top-grossing film
- ALF premiered
- Our dishwasher was manufactured
Some Things I Learned In 2008:
- Our dishwasher was manufactured in 1986
That’s right, when our lovely black dishwasher was made I was 7 years old and just entering 2nd grade. Our dishwasher is older than my college-aged sister and was created a year before the Twins won the world series for the first time.
And the LIFE LESSON is:
Never assume that just because your kitchen was remodeled 5-6 years earlier by the previous owners that all the appliances were replaced at that time, no matter how “new” they look. Otherwise, one day you may notice that your dishwasher is no longer washing dishes, so you crack out the owners manual to try to troubleshoot (thanking your lucky stars that they saved it for you) only to discover the copyright date on the manual is 1986. And thus…time for a new dishwasher.
Oh, and it just happens to be while you are in the midst of a major remodel in your basement.
Not that that happened today or anything. It’s just a lesson to keep in mind. I’m just sayin’. 🙂